reporting sexual abuse

duty to report

If you suspect that a child or youth has been or is likely to be sexually exploited it must be reported to a child welfare worker. A child in British Columbia is defined under the Child, Family, and Community Service Act (CFCSA) as anyone under the age of 19. A report should be made even if you don’t have all the details and information or if you think someone else has already reported the incident.


According to the CFCSA, a child needs protection under the following circumstances relating to sexual exploitation:


  • A child has been, or is likely to be, physically harmed, sexually abused or sexually exploited by the child’s parent

  • A child has been, or is likely to be, physically harmed, sexually abused or sexually exploited by another person and if the child’s parent is unwilling to or unable to protect the child


Source: Child, Family and Community Service Act


report a crime to a child welfare worker

Contact your local Ministry of Children and Family Development:

  • Any community in BC: 663-9122 

  • Helpline for Children in BC: 310-1234 (no area code needed); lines open 24/7


report online sexual abuse of children to
Cybertip is Canada’s national tipline for reporting the online sexual abuse of children, operated by the Canadian Centre for Child Protection. Cybertip accepts and addresses online and telephone reports from the public regarding:

  • child abuse images

  • online luring

  • child exploitation through prostitution

  • traveling to sexually exploit children

Reports can be made online at or by phone 1 866-658-9022.

report a crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers offers total anonymity when you provide information about a criminal event. If you have information about an online predator contact Crime Stoppers in one of the following ways to provide an anonymous tip:

  • Call 222-8477

  • Provide a secure anonymous tip online at

  • Text a tip with keyword “BCTIP” and your information to 274637 (the numerical translation of the word "CRIMES").


If you or someone you know is in immediate danger or risk, call 9-1-1 or contact your local police.