Red Flags for Online Exploitation
If an online friend:
- Is constantly asking you to do things that make you feel uncomfortable or unsafe
- Is not taking “no” for an answer
- Is guilt-tripping or threatening you
- Is giving you lots of online gifts, such as cheat codes, admin codes, or online gift cards
- Is asking you to switch online platforms, for example from a gaming platform to a social media platform
- Is asking you to meet in real life
- Is making you change your routine to chat with them (for example, asking you to be online late at night or to keep your conversations a secret)
Your online friend may be an online exploiter.
For next steps, check out our top 10 tips for staying safe online.